Oceans & Lakes is open to holders of a bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry and biotechnology, chemistry, geology, geography, geography and geomatics, bio-engineer science or environmental sciences. For other bachelors in science, applied science and life sciences, equivalency will be evaluated based on scientific competences and skills of the students by the Oceans & Lakes Steering Committee.
Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree of minimum 3 years with good overall scores (at least upper second class or equivalent) from a university or recognised equivalent.
Students who wish to register for a VUB programme with English as the language of instruction, need to provide a proof of sufficient knowledge of English by meeting one of the following criteria:
- having a diploma of secondary or higher education where English was the language of instruction
- having successfully completed at least one school year of secondary education where English was the language of instruction
- having successfully completed programme units in higher education with a minimum total of 54 ECTS-credits where English was the language of instruction
- having successfully completed secondary education in Belgium
- having successfully completed one of the following language proficiency tests corresponding the Common European Framework of Reference with minimum level B2:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum level: 213 for computer-based, 72 for internet-based
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication): minimum level 785
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): minimum level: academic module 6
- IITACE (Interuniversity Test of Academic English) for Students, score B2;
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), grade B
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), grade C
- Trinity College London (the ALTE Q mark)
- Cambridge English First (FCE)
- Cambridge English: Business Vantage (BEC Vantage)
- Cambridge Michigan ECCE
- Trinity College London: ISE II, GESE Grade 7-9
- The Pearson Test of English General (PTE General) with minimum level 3
- The Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with minimum level 59
The proof or certificate of language tests cannot be older than 2 years for a first enrolment.
To be admitted to Oceans & Lakes, students need to submit an application form (proof of meeting the academic, and language requirements, providing recommendation letters, …). For more details see application forms. Students should respect the deadlines for submission of their application strictly. Only complete application files are considered!
Belgian students with an appropriate Bachelors degree are admitted without further requirements.